IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT SHIPPING

Ornellaia 1996

Regular price $350.00

BOLGHERI DOC SUPERIORE ROSSO

The desire to nurture the Estate's exceptional qualities has shaped Ornellaia's philosophy since the beginning. Ornellaia is a cuvée of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc & Petit Verdot and the faithful expression of unique terrior developed in harmony with nature. 

1996 Growing Season

75% Cabernet Sauvignon

20% Merlot

5% Cabernet Franc

The spring of 1996 has below average temperatures which caused a delay of flowering. The Merlot variety flowered 24/25 May while the Cabernet between 25-28 May. Temperatures in the summer were fairly stable but not excessively hot. Around mid August there was some rain which caused some delay in ripening. Temperatures however increased noticeable at the beginning of September enabling the grapes to fully ripen. The harvest was carried out by hand during 8-12 September for the Merlot variety, and during 29 September - 9 October for the Cabernets. Attention was given to a careful grape selection and the grapes brought to the cellars were in excellent condition. 

Vinification and Ageing

The grapes were destemmed and gently pressed and introduced partly into wooden fermentors, and partly into stainless steel tanks. Maceration took place over a period of 25-32 days at a temperature not exceeding 30°C during which time the wine completed its alcoholic fermentation. The wine was than racked and introduced part into new French oak barriques (60%) and the remaining (40%) into one year old French oak barriques where it completed its malolactic fermentation. The wine remained for a period of 18 months in the barriques, followed by a further 12 months in the bottle before release.

Ratings

Wine Spectator 94

Antonio Galloni 88

750 ml

ABV 14%

While Quantities Last
Price Includes All Taxes
Shipping Calculated At Checkout
Both Purchaser And Reciever Must Be Of Legal Drinking Age

NEED ASSISTANCE?

VISIT OUR HELP-CENTER

Close (esc)

Popup

Use this popup to embed a mailing list sign up form. Alternatively use it as a simple call to action with a link to a product or a page.

YOU MUST BE LEGAL DRINKING AGE TO VIEW THIS SITE

Are you of legal drinking age?

Search

Shopping Cart

Your cart is currently empty.
Shop now
Sale

Unavailable

Sold Out